A Brief History

Inch House was built in 1720 by John Ryan on the site of a previous structure. John, who had inherited extensive lands from his Father, Daniel, married Frances Mary Mathew of Thurles in 1723.

Frances was daughter of George Mathew, and Granddaughter of Lady Thurles (1587-1673), formerly Elizabeth Poyntz.

Lady Thurles was Married twice, firstly to Thomas Butler, Viscount Thurles (who, had he lived would have succeeded to the Earldom of Ormonde), and secondly to George Mathew. Her eldest son by the Butler marriage was the remarkable James, 1st Duke of Ormonde and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. Her Daughter was an ancestor of the late Princess of Wales.

The descendants of her Mathew alliance were equally notable for they included the saintly Nano Nagle, Foundress of the Presentation Sisters in the 18th Century. Nano Nagle was a daughter of Garnet Nagle and Anne Mathew granddaughter of Thomas Mathew of Anfield, a mere stone’s throw from the Ryan seat at Inch. The Capuchin priest, Rev. Theobald Mathew, the renowned “Apostle of Temperance” also descended from this Stock.

Ryans of Inch were one of the few landed Catholic families in Tipperary and in the late 18th Century and owned up to 5,000 acres of land. Inch remained the property of the Ryan family until 1985 when it was sold to the present owners, John and Nora Egan.